Monday, November 22, 2010

Five & Ten

How the fuck did I end up in double-wide bumblefuck Athens? Oh, yeah... It was for a wedding and weddings always have an open bar. Fuck yeah, dude, I'm all over it like white on rice. So, I went up a night early to check out what it's like to spend Halloween night with some of the smartest 700 SAT score students in the land.

Before, I joined the Halloween festivities with the barn yard animals in town, I had to eat at Five & Ten (or is that 5&10? Seriously, who da fuck really knows. I guess it depends on if you're drunk on moonshine or smoking meth. Hey, whatever floats your boat, but I'm sure the Bulldogs football players have done worse). With all the ball licking recently, I had to see what the fuss was all about, how does Hugh's balls really taste in my mouth?

Anyhoo, let's take a lick, I mean look at this experience...

Walked in (had rez) and the "host" is walking in circles like he just did 10 speed bumps of coke. Not that I would know. But anyways, no "hello" or "how are you doing this evening?" small talk bullshit. Whatever. Over it. Finally get seated... Didn't even give a shit if he said "enjoy your meal" or some shit like that. There was this sense of snottiness and pompous mucus in the air. Whatever, go away, Cooter. The server was better but not by much... Fuck it, just take a look at the pictures. No one really reads my shit anyways.

(I ate half the bread and butter before I remembered to snap a shot.)

(Sweetbread, like you can tell by this pic. It was deep fried to all hell but passable.)

(Pork Shoulder, I think. It was not fork tender, mebbe pitch fork.)

(The infamous, Frogmore Stew, nothing was cooked together. Just parts cooked separately and tossed together. Yeah, I said tossed. So what.)

(Sides of Haricot Vert and Dirty Rice. Yeah.)

I just don't get it. Mebbe, it's just me but this was pretty much standard issued. Since, Hugh is such a bigshot now, I guess he doesn't need to be at the restaurant anymore... When the cat's away, the rednecks will dip. It wasn't bad but there's no way in hell I would drive 800 miles again to eat food that was just decent and cost more like 50&100... I could do that in his midtown restaurant.

2.5 Stars.

1653 South Lumpkin Street
Athens, GA 30606
www.fiveandten.com

No comments: