Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Social

Taterz

Beetz

Cornish Hen

Flan

Meatballz

Gastro is always on the lookout for new nosheries and I was pretty excited when my friend told me about this joint hidden away downtown behind FAB... I love the location and beautiful space inside, it's like a lil taste of NYC. Could it be that Atlanta is growing a pair of cojones and doing something outside of the same old dusty box? So, the Snarky Snacker and I had to investigate...

Braised meat balls w/ almond white wine sauce - Somehow balls and white sauce ain't exactly what I want in my mouth. It wasn't bad, just needed some more seasonings and I even swallow some of the sauce.

Roasted red beet napoleon w/ chives, goat cheese, crème fraiche and toasted pistachio - Goat cheez overpowered the tasteless beets... I would be beet red from embarrassment if I put this on my menu , 86...

Potatoes a la brava w/ onions, paprika, roasted red pepper coulis - It was definitely a red pepper coulis vs. what the server called a "harissa" sauce. Taters prepared well and not too shabby. Funny, how the simplest dish is the tastiest.

Moroccan style Cornish hen w/ green olive, preserved lemon sauce, saffron rice pilaf - Server's fav and I really wanted to see how well they prepared this dish. It was a half portion of something, I couldn't tell if it was the leg, thigh or bweast... It coulda been 2 hamsters for all I know. It was pre-cooked and reheated which made it taste like chicken jerky. No Moroccan spices detected. The rice was on par with the San Franciso tweat... No saffron detected. The lemon sauce was just the excess juices leaking from the 3 preserved lemon wedges on the plate. The factory pitted gween olives made their mark on the dish with an "X" on the bottom... If it came with a martini I wouldn't complain.

Spanish Flan - Custard was too soft and falling apart, it was more like a pudding consistency. The caramel sauce was overpowered with citrus essence... Just tasted weird. I guess that giant sprig of mint leaves was meant to hide this Franken-Flan.

Edmeades, Red Zinfandel - Somehow booze always makes it better...

Hopefully, the kitchen with catch up with the cool vibe of this joint. Middling grub will win no praise with my pouch, especially "tapas" in Atlanta. They need to step their game up on the chow and fix the kitchen door which sounds like M-80's going off every time they come through it. Just a side note- Tell me if I'm wrong about this unpleasing aroma of B.O. emanating from the kitchen which the door fans out to the tables nearby. I know the Cornish hen ain't from Morocco but does it have to smell like it while I'm eating? Three words: Puerto Rican Shower...

And the hobo sleeping in the doorway next door needed one bad!

Developing....

12 W Peachtree Pl
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 525-2246

No comments: