Thursday, September 25, 2008

Wahoo! A Decatur Grill

Holy mackerel... where am I???!!!

I swear I saw Sanford and Leftout Lamont working in the garage next door. It's a wacky area to get to for interlopers and even for some ITP'ers but once you get here it's all worth it. It feels comfortable, it feels like home. The covered patio area and the outdoor patio is like the forest moon of Endor. Throw a couple of Ewoks back there and it's all good.

The grub ain't fancy schmancy but tasty and straight forward seafood with a southern twist.

Fried Calamari- Surprisingly good for an obligatory menu item found on every single resto in Atlanta. It included not only the rings but tentacles as well. Flashed fwied to order and came out crispy and hot. Nice.

Lump Crab Cakes- The only lump that can be found was in my throat after taking one bite. That shit was pulverized to sawdust, bland and flatter than a 70 yr old woman chest. It was like fishy flapjacks... Snorkel! STAT! The spicy Cajun remoulade was Sambal Oelek mixed in with mayo... Blech.

Fisherman's Stew- Their "signature stew" was a forgery... tiny frozen bay scallops, baby shrimp and leftover fish bits in a "spicy" tomato broth. I had V8 spicier than this. I wouldn't put John's Hand on this Crockpot special.

Wahoo- The grilled medallions of Wahoo was cooked well but a bit bland. The fresh salsa verde was too watery and leaked all over the plate... Linda Blair anyone? Buttermilk mashed potatoes was the same old hat you find anywhere. The fresh vegetables turns out to be the veggie of the day (haricot vert) and not a medley.

The Trout and Tuna that my friends had look pretty good but I busted a gut when I noticed it was the exact plating as every other dish in the whole entire resto... It's like the Henry Ford of kitchens.

The grub overall wasn't bad, it was quite tasty but the plating was so 80's French chic... Yawn. I have seen better plating with plastic food displays in the front window in Little Italy. But I like this place because it's a n'hood joint with local business owners. I would definitely come back here and support them.

I need a dwink... where's my ripple you big dummy?!

Gulp.

1042 West College Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
(404) 373-3331

1 comment:

The Blissful Glutton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.