Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sushi House Hayakawa

After having god awful sushi at the last two sushi joints recently, I was depressed and drank myself into hibernation, then I woke up and wanted sushi again... This time I wanted quality sooshee but just in case it turns out to be shit, I'm gonna drink a shit load of booze before I go... Picking a place was the hard part and nothing came to mind except Sushi House because I was juiced up pretty well already and my brains wasn't working at full capacity. The place just had a make over and reopened recently... They don't like walk-ins, they prefer reservations... But I ain't got no time for that nonsense. Motherfucking 2 weeks for the sushi bar? Twoo weeks... twooo weeks... I kept hearing in the voice of Arnold in the fat broad suit on Mars. I will take my chances, creep up slowly in my '04 and do a walk-in.
The place was less than half full and I was feeling confident to get a space at the sushi bar... Then the dude at the front totally dissed me in front of everybody. No sushi bar for you but you can get a table... I was trying to get Art's attention but he totally ignored me like a red-headed stepchild. The table was prolly a better idea since I had a feeling that I might fall off the semi high stools at the sushi bar in my full retard state and make a tool of myself... Shit, I am a tool... And fat, can't deny that. Ok, I wasn't that drunk but I was in about 80% liquid courage mode... If there was a hot girl around I would prolly show her my wiener. Ok, just show me to the table, give me the menus and bring a Kirin STAT... Then bring another Kirin every 10 minutes, if I pass out then bring one every 5 minutes. I kept staring at the sushi bar and the fat slobs sitting up there pretending to know what's happening or what they're eating, just nodding their chubby faces with whimsical curiosity like a child or a timid lap dog every time Art puts something up to their snouts. What a waste... But fuck it, I'm here and I can still get almost everything on the menu. Let's get to motherfucking work up in this piece...

Shrimp Tempura Udon. This was a great starter when you're under the influence. If it comes out promptly, the crispy tempura doesn't get soggy from the broth. Eat that shit first, then finish it off with slurps of noods and broth. Simple and dericious.

Eggplant with Dried Shrimp. Looks like some potbelly pig took a turd on it... But it smells better than being down wind from the oinkers at the bar. I didn't love this but it was ok to try once.

Soft Shell Shrimps. I don't know why they call it soft shell shrimp because it's really not but once you fry it, the shell is soft and crispy. The only way to eat it is to eat it whole, head to tail with it's beady black eyes and all... So good. There was a bunch of tomalley inside, too. Squirt.

Beef Tongue. Thinly shaved and flavorful but it was a tad bit chewy. They should be giving you a lemon wedge instead of a thin lemon slice... This offal needs a lot of acidity.

Omakase Nigir. It doesn't look all that spectacular at first glance, quite generic looking to say the least... Until you put it in your facehole and bite into it. It's like heaven. Every single piece was fresh with a nice toothy texture and the quality was top notch. The tamago color was gorgeous with a hint of sweetness on the finish. It's a nice little nigiri sampler.

Hamachi Roll. Came with the nigiri combo... It's a roll, nothing special but the hamachi was quality.

Soft Shell Crab. It's one of the best versions intown... Made to order with crispy hot juicy soft shell crab and rolled tight and not falling all apart trying to get it up to your snout. 

Lobster Box Roll. I'm not a big sushi roll fan (except for the spider roll) but the box roll is such a gimmick that I got tourist'd into it. It's a decent tasting roll but not very lobstery. The pink reminds me of McDonald's burger slime before they are shaped... I kinda want to sear it on a flat top and see if it turns brown. Been there done that is basically the bottomline on this box roll... Spend the money on something else.

Plump Gaijins eating California rolls at the bar... Poor Art had to pretend to enjoy it with a smile.

I don't know if I like the new renovations, it ain't all that but I do know that I would not make a 2+ weeks in advance rez for the sushi bar because I don't know what I want to eat that far in advance. I could totally go low rent on the day of the rez and slob out on CiCi's pizza or get like 10 boxes of Popeyes and have a fried chicken bath... I just don't know. You never know what you're in the mood for.
Most of the dishes sampled were above average and the nigiri sampler was really nice but until I try the omakase, I just can't say if this is a destination joint these days, not just yet. I would come back and try some of the other new dishes on the menu, though... But I ain't rushing back, either. Has Sushi House lost it's charm from the days of yore for the pouch... Possibly because there were so many goddam tourists in here now but I still think there's some magic lurking around in these here parts.
Don't fucking die on me, Art... I will punch you in the uni.

5979 Buford Hwy NE A10
Atlanta, GA 30340
http://atlantasushibar.com/

No comments: