Thursday, June 16, 2016

L'Thai Organic Thai Cuisine & Wine Bar

Most Thai restos suck in this town... They're mostly all dumb down watery bland shit. This joint claims to be the first true organic Thai resto outside of Thailand and awarded the "Thai Select" by the Ministry of Commerce Royal Thai Government for one of the World's BEST Thai restaurants... Oh, yeah? And I'm the sole heir to King Bhumibol Adulyadej's throne. Seriously, did they make that shit up? It sounds so fucking damn preposterous... Because this joint is in upstate Georgia. I have been to their Smyrna location once or twice in the last decade, nothing memorable except the really fobby decor... But I totally forgot about their location in Tucker. Yeah, most people want to forget about Tucker. But let's take a look anyways and see if there's anything to fuss about in the middle of nowhere...

Isaan Fermented Sausage. I was pretty surprised to see some street snacks on the menu... So, I had to try it. There are many different ways to spell Isaan, Isan, Esan... But the street grub is all good in northern Thailand. First impression, hmmm.. they are a bit too thick and long with no casing... Why do I feel fucking jealous all of the sudden? One of them broke apart already before it even reached the table. The classic fermented sausage mixture of pork and sticky rice was heavily more rice than pork, that's prolly why it broke apart so easily with no casing. The taste had hints of fermentation but it's subtle because there wasn't much pork in there. The sausage was just ok but I do give them credit for doing this street snack... It did surprised the fuck outta me when I saw it on the specials menu.

Papaya Salad. The good thing about this som tum was that it had a nice spicy kick to it, not spicy spicy but they did try... The bad thing about this was that it looked and tasted like it was prepared way too far in advance and it sat stewing in it's own slop for way too long... Shit, I wish they fermented the sausage as long as they did with the som tum. Overall, it's not terrible, I liked the little taste of heat and portion size but the mushiness turned me off a bit on this visit.

Pad Thai. The national dish that is used as the litmus test for a respectable Thai joint. And this specimen was top notch. It was not overly saucy, the vibrant color was spot on and the rice noodles were not overcooked... This was a really nice and surprising sample of a proper Pad Thai to be found anywhere in metro Atlanta. Did I really just say that? That this dish met the pouch's standards? Fuck me, I must be dreaming it was good... Jesus, I admit it was good and I wasn't even fucking drunk. Get this dish if they are consistent with it.

Green Curry. I ordered the Wild Jungle Curry, fatboy server comes back 10 minzies later and says we don't have jungle curry anymore. What the fuck, yo... He says, the green curry is really good and spicy. I'm like, I want motherfucking Thai Hot and no one can do a proper Thai Hot green curry because the green chilis are not available around here and the short cut for most restos is to dump a shit load of red chili flake or paste into the green curry which turns it a disgusting pink goo. Fatboy unslim says no no we don't use red chili paste... You will like it. I said, can you do Thai Hot Hot Hot? He says of course, naturally. We'll see, my fat padawan learner, we'll see. It looked OK when it came out but the rice was inside a fucking tea cup. No way there was enough rice for all this curry juice, I like my green curry soaked with rice, so damn good like that. I put a spoon in the curry and it was watery as fuck and then I noticed all the little red specks of chili.... I told him, y'all did use red chili flakes. He replies, no no not red chili flakes, we use red chili powder.... Motherfucking touche, touche big boy. The green curry itself was pedestrian as fuck and lacking the heat I was looking for but the ingredients in it were pretty decent, especially, the real Thai eggplants. If they work on the green curry and able to make it Thai Hot, like spicy as fuck, then I would get it again... If not, then try for the jungle curry, if that is out again, then you're stuck with the regular old red curry... But at least, you can get them to dump in as much red chili powder as you want to get it up to your desired Scoville units. For the time being, skip the green curry... And Thai Hot is still elusive in this town.

Thai Tea. A pretty decent exhibit of the classic refreshing drink.

Is it the World's BEST Thai joint in Atlanta? Fuck no, bro. But it's better than average compared to all the other Thai restos in this one horse town. You can forget about getting anything Thai Hot anywhere but their Pad Thai was a great example of how all the other Thai joints should aspire to. I would reco the Pad Thai here and that's a ballsy statement from da pouch. And what about their wine bar? Skip that motherfucker, too.

4880 Lawrenceville Hwy
Tucker, GA 30084
http://lethai.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lucky Thai in same half dead center as Cafe Bombay and Hala Meat joint

Chino/Jap/Thai on menu

stick with thai

been impressed with thai

hole in the wall

good luck fearless leader