Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Taziki's Mediterranean Cafe

I love gyros but I hate how they spell their name... It confuses people on the proper spelling of tzatziki. Please don't try to be playful, you will only make people even more stupid than they already are... I guess stupid people like this joint because they have dozens of locations all over the southeast. The concept is so gimmicky, safe and franchise-able that I guess it's super safe for the pedestrian demographics to be adventurous and pretend to explore Mediterranean cuisine with their toddlers in tow. It's not exactly fast food, more like fast casual since they actually cook the food here. I pretty much knew exactly what I was going to expect from this place but you never know until you confirm it. This new location fits the mixed style that is the Decatur square area... They will prolly get more business with the office workers for lunch than they will with the local dinner crowd... Unless the food here is spectacular but we all know better than that, don't we... The menu may look really extensive but that's all in the game of menu development, it really revolves around just 7 main meats and fish dressed up in different offerings- salads, wraps, sandwiches, plates, etc. I'm going simple and testing out the gyros because that's what authentic Gweek gwub is all about... Yeah, I said, authentic. Fuck me, am I really doing this willingly... Once again, it's all for my one fan.

Lamb Gyro. It's pretty much a generic gyro... Except that there was no autodoner here. Nothing really outstanding about it. It's a little more sloppier to eat than other gyros. There's so much "taziki" sauce in there and makes everything soggy after awhile. The "grilled" lamb chunks/cubes while not thinly shaved slices were tasty enough and not gamey. A little under seasoned and some pieces were a bit gristly. The roasted new potatoes were actually pretty decent, they had a hint of a herby/lemony finish. It also came with ridgie chips but I ate them all before I snapped this glamour shot.

Chicken Basil-Pesto Gyro. The pesto was good, it had that kick you expect from a decently made pesto but I'm pretty sure they don't make their own pesto in house even though they say homemade... Yeah, homemade from Sysco. They like their meats cubed here... The protein here were just plain grilled chicken breast on the flat top and cut up into cubes. Not very seasoned but mixing it in with the pesto gave it the flavor it needed. It's not very interesting but it will fill yer belly, not that 8 Doritos Locos tacos couldn't do the same thing. The tomato-cucumber salad was also pretty tasty.

It's a Greek joint but not a Greek was spotted working or eating here... The menu says Mediterranean but Chipotle says it's Mexican... And we all know that real life Mexicans do not eat at Chipotle, ever. I wanted so desperately to see giant log cones of layered manmeat spinning slowly around a pair of autodoners but the pouch got fucked once again. I need to stop thinking in my New York state of mind down here, it is the Detroit of the south after all. The place is totally fine for pedestrians and super whitie families and their demon spawn... But for me, it's not very exciting, it doesn't get me in the mood for some Greek love... And I didn't see any ATMs in here, you know it's a real Greek joint when you can get a gyro stuffed with dirty shaved brown doner meat from the cook scratching his ass right to your mouth. But there are money machines next door if you don't have a credit card.

319 W Ponce de Leon Ave #40
Decatur, GA 30030
http://tazikiscafe.com/

No comments: