Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Grub Burger Bar

I haven't been back to this joint in many moons... It was pretty decent on my earlier visits here. The cheekan tenders were the standout here and boy howdy, did I had a hankering for them tonight. I like to go after 9pm because they continue their "Happier Hour" specials on a couple of items that I haven't tried yet. They also have cheap booze which I like to drink in abundance and it's light on the wallet. I really enjoy the demographics here because it's a mix of different mulattos that makes me feel like I'm back living on Boulevard... I can almost taste the rainbow here like their Tipsy Worms and Dirt shake. Let's go see how they're doing these days and I hope I don't get into a CQB combat tonight... And that doesn't stand for Cheese Quarterpound Burga, either. Oh, and their burgers are pretty decent, too...

Crawfish Pistolettes. Scratch made étouffée, wrapped and cooked in a French bread roll, served with our housemade Mississippi Comeback Sauce. These bloated puffy footballs of glutenous mass were stuffed lightly with a little bit of the crawfish "etouffee"... C'mon, let's get real, that shit is not even close to etouffee. It's just a couple tiny crawfish tails stuffed into each bread log. These things were so fucking pedestrian I wanted to throw these out on the crosswalk on Briarcliff... Luckily, there were only 5 bucks... Wait, I coulda spent that loot on a Four Dolla Rita with tip! Fucked again!

Harlem Chicken Tenders. These don't look as plump as they did in the past... But they are still ultra flaky and tender. They got chintzy on the fries, too... It's like the expediter was snacking on the fries while she was waiting for the rest of the order at the pass. You can also get all three sauces if you ax them nicely. The comeback sauce still sucks ass, though. The tenders were not as good as I remembered but I could be easily suckered into getting them again because I'm a fucking weakling when it comes to fwied cheekan of any sort.

Luau Fries. Braised pulled pork, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, grilled pineapple, jalapeños, Teriyaki & BBQ sauce. Jesus Henry Christ... What in lord's name is this? There is nothing Hawaiian about this unless it's suppose to look like a pubescent Kalua yak that just busted it's hymen for the first time... Congrats, you're a lady now. Eating this oinker on the rag is not my favorite thing in the world but when you're drunk and hungry, you'll eat anything... Just like the easy fat broads in college. Hey, fat chicks need McLovin', too... That's how lure them in, with a Happy Meal. This pile of bloody sticks was so overly sweet and cloying from the shitty BBQ sauce that it blanketed all the natural flavor of "pulled pork". The layer of the melted cheddar Snuggie didn't help much, either. It tasted like all the left over shit that dropped off to the side of the pork container and dumped on top of fries... It's their version of smothered covered. Just eat the fries around the bloody aborted mess and you'll be fine. It's not even worth $4 on the Happier Hour special... Maybe $2 and a handjob by a fatty at best.

VooDoo Mushroom. Absinthe sautéed mushrooms with swiss cheese, and Tabasco mayo. Absinthe... Hahaha! Who are you trying to fool? Oh wait, I'm in a chain resto... Nevermind. I think they misspelled the word "Absent" because there was no hint of absinthe in the shrooms. Overall, the burger was pretty good except that all their burgers only comes medium-medium well rather than the proper burger temp of mid-rare. The solid house made bun can hold up to the patty juices. They are not big burgers, more the size of a nice backyard BBQ burger..

Lockhart Legend. Applewood smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, housemade Dr Pepper BBQ sauce, topped with two hand battered onion rings and sliced dill pickle. This burger got some height to it and the onion rings on top of the patty is just retarded... No one can eat this with them between the bun. You end up taking them off and eating them on the side. Another decent burger but it's not very exciting, either.

It's amazing that I didn't order my old standby the Ghost burger with the ghost chili sauce again... I need to be more open and try other flavors. But sometimes, change doesn't work out as planned on taste. I need spicy. I need spicy on my burgers. I need spicy on everything... Including my broads. This joint is still acceptable even with all the little missteps encountered on this visit... But the cheap trashy booze makes the world all right, again.

2470 Briarcliff Rd NE #47
Atlanta, GA 30329
http://grubburgerbar.com/project/druid-hills-atlanta/

No comments: