Monday, March 28, 2016

Rreal Tacos

Stopped by for a quick bite to see if this joint was da rreal deal... The menu is pretty simple and I kinda liked it. They could use more taco options like lengua, cabeza, tripa, seso, buche or even chorizo... But let's not get ahead of ourselves here, we're in midtown after all, the palate of the dull. The rent here must not be cheap in this brand new construction, the profit margins can't be that wide selling tacos. Just an odd location for a semi-authentic taco joint... But they should get some good traffic since the gringos fucking love tacos.
Let's make it a quick trip and "keep it simple combo"...Well, I thought it would be quick until the food runner passed by with my order and gave it to the table of gringos in the corner. 30 minzies for 2 tacos and a side, the drink I got immediately up at the register. But whatever, I can wait for two measly tacos. Hopefully, they will taste as good as they're pushing it to be while I wait and wait. There's no self serve salsa stands here, everything is by request... I guess to cut down on waste which is smart.

Pork Trompo and Pork Carnitas. Standard corn tortillas here but you can upgrade to homemade tortillas for 25 cents, I shoulda did that but I wanted to keep it simple. They shoulda just upgraded those fuckers since I had to wait. The color and aroma from the tacos were really nice, these meat flaps kinda remind me of a couple ex-gf's which made my mouth sweat with saliva and my tongue flutter rapidly. You kinda just want to ram that hog right in your mouth and swallow it whole. But don't forget to lubricate it with some of the salsas to make it slide down your throat with ease... I liked the cilantro and adobe one, they had a lot of viscosity. Both pork versions were really good but the cheap standard corn tortillas started to break down half way through eating them. It can get real messy if you don't calculate their shelf life into the eating time of these things. I would get these again but maybe I should try the cheekan and beef next time... 

Crisp Avocado. Battered and fried avocado slices... Thick cut slices at that. These were really good but you definitely need a couple of dipping salsas for them or else they get boring after the 3 bite. I would not doubt that I would get them again on the next visit.


Horchata. $1 upcharge to sub out the soda in the taco combo dealio... Not too shabby at all and you can tell it's home made which was a nice touch for authenticity. I liked it since it wasn't overly sweet like most other places. Need to try the other aqua frescas next time but the horchata was a good call.

Simple menu that will satisfy any midtown millennial's unsophisticated palate.

I like this spot and the grub they sling but being right in midtown and not having the Mexican't flair and fare, I doubt they will become a tremendous hit around here. Gringos love shitty Mexican't slop and the gimmicky crap that goes with the stereotypical Mexi resto. The place was pretty quiet except the owner had family in here and another table full of the Buckhead Army privates... And yet they still had issues with getting food out quickly with barely anyone in there with a full staff in the kitchen. I wish them luck and I would come back again to support them but they need to do something to bring in more traffic or else I don't see them lasting long with the rents around here. With taco joints in the city, either you go balls to the wall on authentic ingredients or you go all gringo tourist trap, there is no in between... Which I sense they're trying to do here. You have to make a mark in this town or else get swept up with the times.


100 6th St NE #110
Atlanta, GA 30308
http://www.rrealtacos.com/

1 comment:

Pinky said...

sorry this is so random....can you pweeze suggest some decent atl restos with patios?