Thursday, March 17, 2016

Frog's Leap Public House

Stopped by this tiny country town on the way to Asheville for a quick bite for lunch... I swear they filmed Footloose here. I better not breakdance, especially my specialty, poppin' -n- lockin'... Or else the law will be on my back and sentenced to forced labor at the local grit mill. Just move slowly and don't make any sudden moves and you'll be alright. The main town area has kinda that Back to the Future vibe which was cute... But I would never be able to live or survive here, there's no Chino grub here. This joint is one of the nicer restos in this cozy town, has a pretty decent menu and they got their own retail meat market downstairs. Since, I was short on time and on a very tight schedule to eat and drink everything in Asheville, I just wanted to sample a couple things since I heard good things about this joint in the middle of nowhere... And then keep on going.

French Onion Grilled Cheese on Annie's Sourdough. The caramelized onions and the gooey gruyere were really good... Had that dericious sweetness from the onions with a little punch of nutty and earthiness from the gruyere. The sourdough was a nice vehicle to trap all that gooey yum yums inside, also had a really nice color and crisp to the grilled bread. It was a really good grilled cheese.

Nashville Style Hot Boneless Fried Chicken Tenders. I knew going in that they were gonna be boneless but I couldn't resist any type of hot cheekan, when you throw the word "Nashville" in there, I'm sold like Chubsy Ubsy in a Baskin-Robbins. I don't know what it is in NC but their version was more like a heavily seasoned crust/coating with a pronounced sweetness to it (almost candied crust) vs. the fiery cayenne oil that is poured all over the chicken in Nashville. It's not spicy at all and kinda thin/flattish pieces but they were still pretty tasty and had a nice crispy crust. Would I get them again? Prolly not because I'm spoiled by the real bone-in spicy hot cheekan that can not be duplicated outside of Nashville... It's like NYC 'ZA, it just can't be done outside of NYC.

I liked this place and I would go back and try the dinner menu if I was ever back in this area of the mountains... But we all know damn well that will not be any time soon in this life or the next. It looks like they are doing pretty well in this small town with the limited choices for upscale casual joints. Rock on.

44 Church St
Waynesville, NC 28786
http://frogsleappublichouse.com/

No comments: