Thursday, September 10, 2015

Yami Sushi

Bless their hearts... Hidden away in the back of this dumpy ass strip mall with almost no traffic visibility except a small sign jumbled together with the rest of the other signage out front. I heard about this place once or twice many moons ago in lore but recently stumbled upon it making an u-turn in the T'kila parking lot (which is another story). This place was dead, I guess they do more take out since it's in student central. I don't care, less people the better, more attention to my order. Let's do a test run before I go back for more heartburn...

Tempura Combo. I have never seen a shrimp stretched out that long, I feel almost inadequate eating this because it's embarrassing. While the factory molded shrimp tempura tasted plasticky, the slices of veggies were real and fresh but their version of tempura batter was totally lacking. Ok, the tempura was total shit. The coating was thin and hard, not exactly Japanese but neither were the owners (they spoke Mandarin). It's acceptable on a very low rent level.

Yaki Soba. I wanted to try the selection of ramen but I heard it was total garbage. You have no clue how much I wanted to get a bowl so I can shred it to pieces. But I didn't want to waste the pouch space and money on that shit tonight. So, I got the yaki soba instead but asked for the kid's portion because I'm on a diet (shhh, don't tell anyone). The Chino she-owner looked at me and said, but this is the kid's menu... I replied, Don't I look like a kid? She said, no but you act like one. Sold! So, I got my sampler size of yaki soba... Because if it sucked ass, I woulda been pissed with the full order. Luckily, this did not suck as much ass as I thought and it was actually a decent size portion... No fucking child can eat this much. The chicken and veggie ratio was pretty good (no red pickled ginger, though) but I was more into the noodles and the sauce... If it was up to standards. It's no Shoya's incredible yaki soba but for a shithole, this version wasn't half bad. The sauce was flavorful (a bit salty) and the noodles used were acceptable. It could be the most acceptable yaki soba in this area. 

Sushi & Sashimi Combo. Well, isn't this special... The first thing I see is the fake crab meat which they pulled and fanned it apart a bit to imitate real king crab meat. It's the little details that makes the difference, too bad it didn't make a difference in taste. Fake crab meat is only good in a Publix Neptune salad, period. The one thing that I haven't seen in a long time is the way they cut the sashimi...in blocky rectangles. Y'all, know why they did this, right? Not to waste any scraps, even though they could use it in a spicy tuna roll. They obviously get the frozen fish in blocks like you'll find at the Asian markets. So, they basically slice them accordingly to the shape and not against the grain. This amuses me that they're so aware of being cost efficient. Too bad the texture was like chewing on warm salt water taffy. If you closed your eyes, you wouldn't be able to taste the difference between all the pieces maybe except for the ebi and tako. It's a very mediocre display that could be found at any other average sushi joint across town. And why do sushi joints still serve that fake white tuna escolar shit.

Miso Soup. Look at the color. Guess they needed to put another spoonful of the miso soup mix in there. The tiny freeze dried cubes of tofu were a dead give away. As you expected, this tasted like very seasoned water... Maybe they cook their ramen noodles in it.

This sushi joint was very middling at best but I'm sure the Chinese family is working very hard here to make that buck. They're still in business so they can't be that stupid... They prolly know their demographics in this area. As evident by two millennial dudebros that came strolling in to place a take out order filled with California rolls and eggrolls... I don't think they even know the difference. Wait, do they even serve eggrolls here or are those two nitwits just blending the two Chinese and Japanese cuisines together because all Asian food are all the same to them? It's so comical and entertaining to see how our future is on the right path to Idiocracy... They returned shortly after their filled up at the growler joint to pick up their order and asked 3 times... Is there soy sauce and duck sauce in the bag? Chopsticks? Because I can't eat my California roll and eggroll without them. Don't forget your 6 pack of Brawndo, bro... Because it's the Thirst Mutilator: It's got what plants crave! It's got electrolytes.

Shoot me now.

1248 Clairmont Rd
Decatur, GA 30030
404) 634-8388
http://www.yamisushihibachi.com/ 

1 comment:

Ivan Gottasecret said...

Brawndo.......well played