Monday, May 19, 2014

Dim Sum Dive - Update

Ok, so, I had to go back this past weekend and see what buzz the pouch had generated with his dumpy post... And it was more packed than a Pride parade float. Speaking of which I started packing the pouch with as much har gaos as I could... Take a gander at the shit we ordered. It still blows my mind...

Don't cry for me Shanghai soup dumplings... Look at this shit. I had to do it. 8 friggin baskets of the best har gaos in town. Pouch had a very happy ending... Along with a lot of Charmin.

More and more tasty vittles... Too much to list.

Beef chowfun... Y'all knew it was coming. This shit was up to the pouch's standards this go around. Not greasy and spot on flavors. Beef was tender and aplenty.

Wu Gok. They said they ran out already. WTF, skank whore!!! But working through my 3rd basket of har gao, I noticed a little troll come out from the back of the kitchen with a tray full of brown little fluffy things... Hello?! I knew it was my little fried friend. I got my shrimp filled mouth ass up to the counter and mumbled something what sounded like some rare dialect from the northern redneck province of China just barely touching Mongolia and ordered my prized dish of this delicate morsel... And it was amazeballs. Perfectly flaky and steamy hot taro inside with flavorful ground pork innards.

This visit while retardedly more crowded than usual was spot on on every dish ordered and there were a lot more not shown here. This place handled the massive volume like a boss... The Big Boss.

__________________________________________

Full service dim sum joints is a constant struggle with me... The consistency is always hit or miss with the more popular joints. Canton House is always inconsistent but crowded, kinda like McDonalds. Royal China is Chino redneck tapas. East Pearl has been a disappointment over and over in the last couple of years. Happy Valley is decent but who knew the Roman Empire was so into dim sum. Hong Kong Harbor is the best for what it is if you're too hungover to drive OTP (outside the Piedmont Park). Whities praise Golden House for their sub par Vietnamese dim sum which I still struggle to understand. Oriental Pearl is the most consistent and my go to spot but always packed. But little do most "foodies" in the know knows about this amazing dim sum dump hidden away in a tiny corner of the Asian underworld known as the Great Wall Supermarket.

I hate doing this because it will open the flood gates, but for my one reader, it's worth it... The food court kiosk known simply as Cantonese Cuisine (aka CC133, kinda like TK421) is a hidden secret for ultra fresh quality dim sum. Yes, on the outside it looks like your standard Chino BBQ (which is great but pricey btw) and standard menu list of classic hits like chowfun, congee, salt & pepper this and that, noodle soups and rice plates. All of those dishes are good, too, but the dimz... Oh my, the dimz...

CC133 why aren't you at your post? ...Take my order, dim sum biatch!

Ok, you can pick from a picture list of classic dim sum dishes or just ask them what they got. We just got a small sampler of classics before heading into the market. Har gao, siu mai, ngau pak yip, cheung fun and some meat stuffed bean curd skin thinger (fu pei guen).

Har Gao - Best har gao in the ATL. Period. Why? Because they are ginormous and filled with 2-3 shrimp and shrimp paste inside. Steamed to order so the skin is spot on with the perfect "toothiness". The skin doesn't stick to the side of the bamboo like most places because those are steamed over and over again from making the rounds in the carts. The filling also doesn't fall out because it is made to order and everything holds together like it should. This is the real deal. Amazing work from a food court dive.

Siu Mai -  These were no slouch, either. Freshly steamed and tasted like eating fluffy clouds. These are larger than most of the other dim sum houses. Good flavor and very tasty.

Ngau Pak Yip - Super clean, large flappy pieces of tripe, great texture and balanced flavor, only thing missing/needed was a lil heat with some jalapeno mixed in there. But one of the best I've had here. Yes, it is that good.

Char Siu Cheung Fun - This is my test for a talented dim sum cook because I lurv these little fuckers. And this place kills it. It is obviously evident that every thing they put out from the dim sum menu is made to order with quality ingredients. This dish is relatively easy to make but you'll find that it's either under or over-steamed, the latter being the curse at most of the other dim sum restos. No one likes soggy, gummy and pasty rice noodles that are stuck together. These on the other hand came part perfectly without tearing or ripping open and spilling all the innards. They also cut perfectly down the middle with chopsticks and both halves stayed together firmly. This was made perfectly.

They were out of one of my favorites (the wu kok, fried taro) but next time it's on if I can get there early enough. But the few classic samples had were all spot on. This little corner of a massive hectic market was just a piece of dim sum heaven... Not that shitty dump in the same mall with Bo Bo Garden.

Go git ya sum..

2 comments:

Pinky said...

Ho Lee Shi. I thought I was just hungover.....thanks for confirming that it was indeed good.

The Blissful Glutton said...

Went today. Great find. Everything fantastic. Largest shrimp dumps I have ever seen. The chow mien with soy sauce was awesome too.