Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Abattoir

Abattoir has been on a kiddie roller coaster ride since the beginning... Sometimes it was good and sometimes it was kinda lame. And that goes for both the kitchen and the bar. Food menu and cocktail menu were either hit or miss on every visit... But I still liked this joint no matter how many mistakes they made. The last time I went, half the dishes were good and the other half, I was scratching my head like did this come out of the same kitchen... But the cocktails were decent if you knew how to order the right ones depending on the barkeep back there. So, it's about time to make another visit and see if Hector Santiago has made an impression on this meat/offal centric spot... I have a feeling he has because that boy is good.

Grilled Chorizo Spiced Octopus, taters, olive mayo. I always think restos should give you at least 3 tentacles for the price. But since this was so tender and damn tasty, I'll let it slide this time.

Oxtail - Butcher menu. These oxtail bits were almost as tasty as my version. Nice flavor and texture. It would be even nicer if there was a little broth in there.

Gulf Crab Fritter, carrot puree, bisque foam. You would think this tennis crab ball would be all breading and a golf ball size of crab inside but this was 95% crab. This ball rocked out without any cocks out... And I'm ok with that.

Chicken Livers - Butcher menu. I like to play Walking Dead with this dish and plow my face through it without any utensils. The puffy rice almost looked like maggots, Michael... Yum.

Jamison Lamb Tongue, gnocchi, roasted poblano slasa. I knew Hector wouldn't disappoint me with his bag of tricks of offal. I love tonguing anything that's pink, furry or wooly... This lamb tongue was spot on, tender, juicy and seasoned just enough. 

Wagyu Culotte, chilean pebre. Not much else to say about a perfect piece of cooked meat with a little salsa. Gone in 60 seconds. Vroom vroom.

Goose Breast, dill, orange, pistachio, tart cherry. Love it when I see goose on the menu... Which is not on many around this town. I stuffed as much of his meat in my mouth as possible because it was that tasty... Talk to me, Goose.

Sauteed Crimin and Oyster Shrooms. Love these shrooms but easy on the salt, ese.

Roasted Butternut Squash, savory crumble. What's not to like about B-nut squash? Not enough butter and sugar in this... Not. Still pretty tasty.

So, this last visit was pretty successful overall, but the cocktails on the other hand were just ok. I guess the kiddie roller coaster ride continues on. But I still like it. So there.

1170 Howell Mill Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 892-3335
http://www.starprovisions.com/abattoir.php 

1 comment:

palermillo said...

Werd...wish I could try these sometime...dang!