Sunday, April 15, 2018

Tsingtao Brother

The Chinatown food court hasn't changed much in the last 100 years... That goes for the food shacks, the tasty grub they put out and the low prices. But change is good sometimes... Or is it? When I saw this place being built out awhile ago, I asked a FOB doing the Asian squat behind the counter if they were going to serve the beer with the same name when they open... He looked at me like how people look when you accidentally open the door to an unlocked stall while some dude was pinching a loaf. He was like, go away, fat boy, we have no food now! What the fuck just happened? What kinda ching chong shit was that? I thought it was Long Duk Dong buzzed off his skull for a second there... Turned out it was one of the food court workers taking a snooze break.
When it finally opened for business, I by passed it on two other visits before I grew the nut sack to try this place out. The place and menu just didn't look organized or finished... I took a peek into the kitchen any chance I could and it was sparse back there. They also didn't have that excitement all new places have when they first open... It's like they have been there for a decade and just didn't give a rat's ass about customers. I guess it's time to go in and see what the fuss was about... The numbnut at the counter just stood there and didn't say a goddamn word. I think he was trying to use his ESP to take my order... No, sir, I didn't order a quarter pounder with cheese, I was thinking of Popeyes, do y'all have any spicy? He was not happy with that answer and he finally spoke and asked, what you order? Since, I just ordered a beef chowfun at HK BBQ right before I came here, I should prolly not order another noodle dish... I should order two more noodle dishes! Since, we all know HK BBQ's chowfun is always solid, let's just focus on this new joint's dishes. Let's take a quick first look shall we...

Wok Fried Cheung Fun. I was looking at all the different casseroles they had on the menu but I wasn't feeling it. It was all a blur and then my eyes focused on this dish and I was seriously curious about it. This wok fried cheung fun sounds too similar to chowfun... And I had to have it, I don't care if I have to eat two of the same dish. Then this dish came out and I was pleasantly surprise by how fucking awesome it looked. It was rolled up tube of rice noodles with egg, scallions and bean sprouts... I was so glad I ordered this. The thick tubes of rolled up noodles were just plain dericious... The flavor and texture was heaven... And it didn't even have meat in it. This noodle dish was a total winner. I would get this again and again.

Skewers- lamb, pork belly, chicken hearts, chicken gizzards. I wanted to the try the squid claws but I didn't want anything that I had to crack the shell, it's too messy to eat. So, I just stuck with the meat on a stick that was easier to eat. The lamb and pork belly are pretty standard issue but I had to include the chicken hearts and gizzards which aren't always available at other places. I'll buy that for a dollar... And they all were, what a bargain! The lamb was literally only a couple bites but it was a bit chewy so maybe it was for the better. The flavor and seasoning was tasty but I would skip the lamb next time. The pork belly was good as expected but what pork belly isn't. The hearts were tender and had a great bite to them. The gizzards were all hacked up into unidentifiable scraps but after the first bite, it was unmistakable that they were gizzards with that unique crunch. For a buck each, there's not much to complain about. I'll have to splurge on the squid claws next time, I hope they're worth the $2.50. Oh, they also have free rice, so you could get a shitload of sticks and make a full meal out of it.

Lo Mein. I know I know... What kinda slope are you, pouch? We all know that lo mein is a classic slutty Chino dish for the roundeyes, but lo mein is also a real Chinese dish if skillfully executed by the right hands. Since, everything I have sampled so far was pretty legit... I couldn't help but order it. Plus, so many Mexicans were eating it that I had to try it... The sight of so many Mexi-muffin tops puts me into a trance and I do as they command. It was one of the specials of the day, so, I was curious if they did something different that made it special. For $5, there's no meat in it, just a veggie lo mein. It looked pretty decent but it was kinda bland. After a few bites in, I was put into a state of stupor and I swore I was eating worms... But they were only noodles, Pouch. If you want to fill your sack on the cheap and without any frills, this will do. But I would put the money towards another wok fried cheung fun, that shit is guud.

This new food shack ain't the friendliest or prettiest and it will definitely deter a lot of crackers from walking up to counter but this first sampling was pretty good overall. I need to try the casseroles but the fried cheung fun is a must next time and every time... Along with the chowfun at HK BBQ.

5389 New Peachtree Rd
Chamblee, GA 30341

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Place was dead as a Cancun spring breaker.
Not even an employee in sight even though lights were on. Got Singapore Mai Fun at BBQ place instead. Now paying the price with the hot squirts.

chefhelen said...

Dang. Wish I had read this 2 hours ago. I was just there and coulda gotten heart & gizzard skewers! I don’t think I saw one person there the entire night but wth is going on in town this weekend? There seems to be no one in town at all!