Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Golden Eagle

I know what y'all are thinking... Did the Eagle open another location with golden showers? Don't be embarrassed, I was thinking the exact same thing... Well, that's because I'm an obeast sicko and my pea brain is always in the gutter like how Popeyes is always in the pouch. But no, this ain't the Eagle #2 and there isn't any water sports involved. This is the new swanky cocktail bar with a throw back decor from the golden age with a lodgey feel. It's a nice cozy space and they poured a good amount of loot in here and the horseshoe shaped bar is evident of the classy style they're trying to purvey. But what about the crowd, pouch? Will Atlanta's millennials and pedestrians embrace this style and location... By the looks of the large crowd on a recent Friday night, yes and no. Almost everyone in here were here just from the hype, the see and be seen crowd, and the 'first to review' Yelper types.
Enough of the dweebs in here, pouch, what about the food and booze? The cocktail menu kinda reminded me of the SOS Tiki Bar and the food menu had a Ticonderoga Club feel. I almost throw up a lil when I saw a $33 brick chicken and a $10 wedge salad on the menu. But there were some interesting items on the menu but I saw the crab rangoons the people next to me ordered and they were just an insult to all the slutty hole in the wall Chino joints. Before we get to the grub, it's time to booze first... Nothing on their cocktail menu sounded that interesting, so, I got a sazerac but they decided to make me a drink off their cocktail menu instead. I said to the server when he brought it over that there's no way that was a sazerac, it looked like an orange Fanta... Ok, I like orange. So, I took a sip and it tasted ok, told the server I rather have the sazerac... But instead, of leaving the drink as a kind gesture for waiting 25 minutes for the wrong drink, he whisked that drink right into the sink... What a fucking waste, that's alcohol abuse, yo. I put in a bunch of plates, so, while I waited for my drink again and the food to come by, the only thing I had was a glass of tap water to whet my appetite... It's clean, it's cold, now, that's what I call high quality H2O to cleanse the palate. Fuck that... Water sucks, Gatorade is better... And booze is even better. Jesus, now, I'm getting the sweats and twitches from withdrawal. The pouch's BAC level needs to be maintained at a minimum of .16-.19% or else bad shit happens... Literally, it gives me bad shits being sober. Speaking of IBS-D, let's see if the grub will be an enabler to my chronic curse...

Crispy Shaved Okra, lime salt. I liked this tasty littl snack, it's a great finger food for my fat stubby sausage fingaz to claw at. They were pretty good and it was a decent portion. They reminded me of fried green beans.

Burrata, roasted acorn squash, pistachio-sorghum butter, blackberries. It's not a bad looking dish but there's a lot going on in there... Locating the main star of the plate was a bit difficult until I noticed a gooey mass under the acorn squash... Usually, a gooey mass can be found in my underpants the morning after from boozing all night long and passing out on the bathroom floor. The burrata was creamy but needed seasoning even with all that stuff on it. The flavors worked pretty well and ask for more bread because those two thin slices of grilled bread ain't gonna do it. I would order it again if I had a couple of drinks in me first... Speaking of which, Jesus, I'm still waiting on that goddamn sazerac.

Okonomiyaki, basil, mint, togarashi, bonito. What the fuck is that? Looked like a M-80 exploded on that plate. The moving bonito on top is an old party trick but the pedestrians here are eating that shit up like it's alive. The pancake was basically all napa cabbage and not enough batter. It's far from a classic okonomiyaki but no one here will even know the difference between this and Yoko Ono, anyways.

Garlic Knots. I'm not a fan of garlic knots but somehow the roundeyes eat this shit up like there's no tomorrow. The worst offender of this specimen is Ippolito's greasy ass garlic rolls and I thought it couldn't get any greasier until I encountered these creastures swimming in a buttery grease bath. They would be acceptable if they weren't so lubed up and once is more than enough for a lifetime. This ain't no bar grub.

Steak Tartare, smoked bone marrow, herb salad, grilled sourdough. It looked pretty impressive when it came out but after reading the menu again this looked worse than the bone marrow topped off with 2 cups of tobiko at Blue Top. Who thought spreading steak tartare on top of the bone marrow would be a good idea... I understand what their thought process was on this but that doesn't mean it's a good idea in execution and for the paying customer. You're gonna have to scrape off all the tartare anyways to get to the marrow... And plus, that way they don't have to put that much tartare on there as well. The little portion of tartare and marrow was way off in the spread to bread ratio... That giant piece of bread was like a garden paver. They should have switched breads with the burrata. Overall, it was borderline acceptable, it wasn't awful in taste but there's not much meat on this bone... But if you like bread, you're in for a treat.

Griddled Sweetbreads, mostarda, toasted sesame. I luv me some offal but this sweetbread was tiny, it wasn't even the size of a Matchbox car. The sweetbreads were overcooked, tough and unseasoned. It was pretty much a waste of time and money on this dish. Skip it and spend it on something else more fulfilling, instead, on this limited menu.

This location has always been cursed but I like what they have done here, they did a great job on the design and space, I even kinda like that giant moose head above the bar... I know it's kinda gaudy and faddy but it works in this space. The gimmicky cocktail menu looked ok, the drinks were average and the food menu needs some work, it's not that interesting but it works for now and will definitely need to evolve down the road. The service was pretty attentive. The crowd is annoying at times but what do you expect with a new place that has been hyped up... I don't know if this will be on my rotation with this first look but I know that I will let this place die down before I head back to see if they have improved... And the mandatory valet is just ridiculous for this concept. Everyone fucking hates valet because they can give two fucks about your car... And that alone makes me not want to go back any time soon... Or I should just ride my motorcycle there next time so they can't fuck it up.
Bless their hearts.

904 Memorial Dr SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
www.goldeneagleatl.com

No comments: