Monday, January 9, 2017

Brush Sushi Izakaya Revisit

When Brush first opened, it was Decatur's little best kept sushi secret... No one likes going to Decatur from midtown or the westside because it's such a fucking pain in the ass to get there. So, the locals around these here parts kept this amazing sooshee joint all to themselves. Who the fuck am I kidding, Decatur don't know jack shit about decent sushi... They have been jaded by Sushi Avenue's subpar sushi all these years, this is the only sushi they have ever known. My last visit and final one was god awful... The "chef" behind the sushi bar that made my "food" shoulda been making tandoori chicken and naan bread instead of sashimi and nigiri... Let's just say, I rather eat chum from a bucket at a bait shack than the sushi there. But with Brush's opening, the entire sushi scene in Decatur changed from low rent to Madison Ave. I like this place a lot, and I like that people in midtown and elsewhere do not like to drive to Decatur... Even though this joint is considered a destination spot in my book. But enough talk, what has the pouch been eating here lately... Anything new to report? Let's go find out what's on their menu lately...

Crab and Roe. Holy fuck. Look at this thing of beauty... Look at it's beady eyes... I'm gonna eat your fucking eyeballs. How fucking sick is this creasture... The entire shell is full of hand laid crab meat with roe mixed in... Then there's that giant ball of tiny roe. What a ridiculous and dericious sight to behold. This thing ain't cheap at almost $30 but for what it was, it was pretty goddamn amazing.

From the back side... Rock (crab) and Roe! How fucking cheesy was that shit... Jesus, I am such a loser. And I will eat the shit outta this all by myself at the sushi bar... Just like how I go to the movies by myself. I ain't sharing this motherfucker with anyone. It was so goddamn good.

Sweet Shrimp. This is the most amazing idea I have ever given to Jason... And he fucking nails it. The whole deep fried shell is a work of edible art. Eat the tail nigiri first, then finish it off with the crunchy body, eyeballs and all... So, goddamn guud. I'm suppose to get royalties for each order sold but I have yet seen a penny. Give me another sweet shrimp and I'll forget about it for tonight.

Nut Sack of Deep Fwied Sperm. There was a recent new article that said swallowing the white jizz juice is extremely healthy for you, it cures cancer and warts or some shit like that... Who the fuck am I to criticize science. So, pump pump me some of that baby gravy! Relax your throat and swallow like it was a bottle of Guava Jarritos... Gulp gulp... My tumor is gone, mofos... Fuck tumor! Wait, it's not a tumor, just my fupa... Dammit.

Kushiyaki. It's your standard mix of grilled meats on a stick... I like kushiyaki but it pales in comparison to all the other goodies they have in their arsenal.

Lionfish. This is what I'm talking about... The predator becomes the prey... Fuck poison! Wait, they're venomous... Who gives a shit, the pouch has an iron stomach. I fucking drink Alien's blood and french kiss their multi-extending jaw on the mouth... I ain't scared of a piece of shit lionfish. I loved this fried dish, from the crispy flaky white flesh to the crunchy fins and skeleton. Just an adventurous dish to sample.

Ankimo. Jesus, I always get this monkfish liver dish no matter what sushi joint I'm at... If it's on the menu, it's going into the pouch. This version has never failed me, it's just velvety and dericious.

Soba. Yeah, yeah, how boring can you get with plain old soba, right? Well, shit, this even surprised me when it came out... Ice cold soba in a light sweet dashi sauce topped with roe was incredibly tasty. I don't know if it was the crushed ice in there but I couldn't stop gobbling this up.

Scallop. When I saw the quality of the scallop, I just couldn't pass this up... Damn it was good. Firm, toothy, tender, fleshy and fresh all come to mind.

Soft Shell Crab Roll... AKA Spida Woll. Another low rent gaijin dish that I can't say no to... Yes, it's deep fried soft shell crab inside a friggin makimono or as crackers like to call it, a sushi roll... And it was da tits. It's like breast feeding in public when I eat this... I really don't want people to see me eating this but I'm also not ashamed to be seen eating this.

Sweet Shrimp. So damn good that I had to have more... Why am I obeast, again? I forget...

Brush Platter. Look at this fucking amazing tray of seafood shit from the abyss... And it's all going down into the pouch's abyss, never to be heard from again until 3 hours later when nature calls. I'm not gonna go into detail but every sample on this plank was fresh and firm, the colors were vibrant and eating it was like a religious ritual, a true mystical and magical experience... Wait, was there liger on here? I was slowly savoring every bite and morsel. The different levels of omakase available here are great options, too, but if you are on a diet like me, I would do the sampler platter... Like anyone believes that I'm on a diet after eating all that other shit before this.

Tamago. The tamago has always been treated like some red headed stepchild because it seems like it's for kids... But there is an art to make this correctly. This may not be the ultra traditional way of making a tamago but you don't expect them to here... And I really like their version. It kinda reminds me of a Japanese style genoise sponge cake... Shit, I kinda wanna soak it with some brown juice syrup on there... Everything is better with whiskey. Hell, everything is better when I'm liquored up.

Brush has been getting more and more recognition by the local rags but it's still not packed by any means... Like I said, people don't like to drive to Decatur, I was one of them when I lived in midtown... But their menu, quality ingredients and talent behind the knife is absolutely killing it in my book. This is my go to place for higher end sushi right now... It is a destination spot on da pouch's list and that list is quite short... And also their brown juice menu is not too shabby, either. I'm totally ok with people not wanting to drive all the way to Decatur. Midtown millennials need not apply... They don't do California rolls. Just saving y'all an unnecessary trip to save gas, the environment and all those other earthly causes.. And take a bath you filthy hairy hippies.

316 Church St
Decatur, GA 30030
http://www.brushatl.com/

1 comment:

Pinky said...

Herro will you be reviewing the Naked Chicken Chalupa? #onefan