Thursday, November 5, 2015

One Eared Stag Spooky Special

Halloween is a special night for special people... When I say special I mean in the mentally challenged way because this night is when all the retards come out to play. When people put on a costume they basically become tools that are not held accountable for any of their actions... Dudebros become amateur drunks and chicks become ultimate sluts... Which I have no problem with but there is always that one toolbox that shows up right before you have the chance to slay that skank in the bathroom and cock blocks you. But on this night there is a place where you can suckle on a witch's tit and slay all the sea gash to your heart's content. I haven't been back to OES in a bit... Looks like they have a decent menu this week and some specials on this night.

Johns River Oysters. New England oysters are some of my favorites... And these farm raise oysters from Maine are pretty hard to come by because there are only a few thousand available each year. How OES got these I have no clue and how they can offer them at a $1 a piece that's even more baffling... But I will eat the shit outta them... 3 dozen were had. Amazing balance of fruitiness, sweetness and brininess... Pure umami.

Chicken Biscuit. This was good but I didn't love it. The biscuit was a bit dry and crumbly which I guess it kinda should be... But that only makes it more difficult to eat it with a hunk of fried cheekan inside. It's better than Hop's cheekan bizkit.

Fried Smelt. The batter was great, thin and crispy, a tad oily but it's totally acceptable. I like the size of these things, too. Not too small and actually a couple of very large smelt. Love this dish.

Hot Oysters. See, I like this... These are the type of grub I like to see on the menu. These were very good, crispy, a little bit spicy and steamy moist sea snots inside. What's not to like here.

Hot Chicken. It's a well made hot cheekan but it could be a bit more spicy. Great crust, though.

Ribs. It's a decent portion of ribs but they were a bit chewy and weren't fall off da bone tender. You get pieces of meat stuck in your teeths.

Butternut Squash. The crispy strips of cancer bacon were basically the star of this plate but I guess it was ok overall. Not again, though.

Tonight's showing was mostly a success... Especially, those Johns River oyster. I wish they would do their Monday night fried chicken every night because that shit is good eatin'. I guess I will have to put OES back on my radar and in my already length rotation list again.

Burp.



No comments: