Monday, August 31, 2015

Nashville Pouch

The pouch was craving some real hot chicken and decided to hit road and get the fuck outta dodge from the lack of decent grub lately. Nashville is the only place to score some original hot cheekan, so I guess that's where the pouch will be heading... And maybe hit a few other eats on the way.

B&C BBQ, Melrose.
I heard good things about this small BBQ chain (B&C = Bacon & Caviar). I hit up the Melrose location which is pretty small. There were a bunch of stuff in steam trays... Oh, shit, flags are going up already. Fuck it, it can't be that bad... Maybe.

Smoked and Fried Wings, dry. For $1 a piece, they better be good... And they were. Real good. Great smokey flavor with a crackling skin. Get them dry and try out all their sauces on the side. The Sweet Heat and Hot are the best for these wings.

Fried Pickles. The Bread & Butter pickles made no real difference than a regular fried pickle but they were crispy and tasty. They are battered and fried to order, you can see the fry basket marks on them.

Brisket, Pulled Pork, Mac n Cheez and Garlic Cheese Grits. The shells in the mac were great capturing the oozy gooey cheese, a very tasty version. The garlic cheese grits were really tasty as well. That's like 2 for 2, fuck, something has to give... Haven't tried the BBQ yet. The semi-sliced brisket were tender and flavorful. A decent bark and smokey smell minus the smoke ring, could be a bit more moist but it was a very nice brisket, overall. The pulled pork was tender as well but didn't have enough flavors and smells. It would be fine inside a sando since no one would really notice between slices of bread. The sauces were pretty good overall, sweet heat, hot and zydeco were the standouts. Not a bad BBQ joint, I would come back here if I needed a quick fix.


Loveless Cafe.
The infamous tourist trap for biscuits and country ham and all things overpriced. The pouch had to investigate this mini Disneyland for hillbillies.

Country hospitality.

The biscuits and preserves. While the biscuits were tasty, they didn't give me a blood flow. They were kinda small and looked a tad undercooked. I guess they have to make them small for the volume and cooking time. But they do give you a shitload of them. There is no problem getting a second helping without even asking, they just appear on the table. Just plan ahead before ordering your main breakfast or supper. You can fill up real fast with these little fuckers. The blackberry preserve was the best, the strawberry and peach were ok. Don't forget to ask them for a little sorghum honey. There is also a giant bowl of butter packets on the table, not that you will need them with the amount of butter in there already.

Live action biscuit love making.

Southern Sampler Breakfast, country ham, bacon, sausage, two eggs, grits. This was a good way to sample the porky goodness. Their infamous country ham was salty as fuck, I mean real salty. It would be good chopped up in a good fried rice or a musubi. The sausage patties were kinda dried out but the bacon was nice and crispy. The scramble eggs were scrambled eggs. The grits were creamy and smooth. I didn't know what the white gravy was for in this platter... I guess country folk use gravy for anything and everything.


Country Fried Steak and Eggs, hashbrown casserole. I get the white gravy here in this breakfast plate. Gotta have it for the country fried streak... Which was one of the best country fried steaks I have had. It was huge, crispy and tenderized perfectly. The batter was really nice, held together nicely and had a wonderful crunch. The tenderized meat inside was soft and meaty at the same time. The white gravy was smooth, velvety and flavorful which means it's bad for you. The hashbrown casserole was basically baked shredded tater and cheese. Pretty tasty but it's really just a filler... And there were a ton of filler in here. There was no lack of the statistically speaking obese population in this place. Fat people love this place and for good reason. It's salty, fatty, filling and the tables were spaced out generously. They know their demographics...


Prince's Hot Chicken.
The last time I stopped by it was closed so I went to Hattie B's instead which was also very good.

This time they were opened and packed already when they opened at 2PM. Their hours are so fucking baffling, they open when they feel like it. The menu hasn't changed much and the prices are still pretty reasonable. The amount of whities in here made me do a double take if I was in the right place... It was almost blinding by the amount pale white legs and flesh in here. Every single cracker ordered a plain or mild breast white meat piece. I'm like, c'mon, dudebros, don't be that useless piece of white bread underneath your plain fried chicken, that slice of bread is there for a reason. 

XXX HOT Leg Quarter. This simple leg order took almost one fucking hour to get. They were so backed up with all the crackers' white meat breast orders. The lady at the window asked me if I was sure I wanted XXX HOT... I rolled my eyes back like a great white and made a sigh. She said, oh, you have been here before. That's right, auntie, I have been here a few times before and the XXX Hot is the only way to go. I remember the XXX Hot was oilier and brighter red in the past, this version was dryer. The crust/skin was crunchy as usual and the heat was there but not as potent as I remembered it last. The cayenne seasoning penetrated the crust and into the flesh nicely, it's seasoned very well but it wasn't hot enough for me on this visit. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very kickass hot cheekan and for $5, I would get this at least twice a week if it was in Atlanta.

The purpose of the slice of white bread... To soak up all that XXX yum yums. Who woulda thought eating a plain old slice of white bread could be this exciting...


Pinewood Social.
This was one of my favorite spots in this town for great drinks and very decent grubbery... That is until the college kids took over this place. There were hundreds of these lightweight kids in here, half of them were wasted and barely could stand up... Fucking amateurs. Jesus, what I would give to be back in college, the talent here were like shooting fish in a barrel. Squirt. I don't know how these college kids can afford this place, it ain't exactly cheap... Oh, wait, daddy's plastic is free.

So, I had to get a drink, at least one drink since I'm here. The 42nd Parallel was a very good drink. Took off after that and headed to White Castles for a midnight snack...


White Castle.
The only proper way to finish off the night, two White Castle gut bombs after a night of heavy boozing... Awesome. Why is there no White Castle in Atlanta... Why do they make me suffer with Krystal's shitty hack burgers.

I like this town, the resto/bar scene have been getting better and better every year... I will go to more places next time and report back to my one reader.


1 comment:

Pinky said...

Loveless Cafe biscuits kinda remind me of Popeyes' breakfast biscuits. Luv BNA!