Monday, April 20, 2015

Oddbird

Everyone already knows about West Egg's resto within a resto cheekan concept. My one fan already knows how much I like fwied cheekan. The Pouch, for one, was already a fan if it had anything to do with fwied cheekan, let alone Hot Cheekan. I have tried all the hot cheekan in Atlanta. Nothing came close to the likes of Hattie B's, Prince's, Pepperfire, etc. in Nashville... Hell, even the shittiest hot cheekan there trumps anything found in ATL. So, my question is how the fuck can a breakfast/sandwich joint remotely even come up with a halfway decent hot chicken? Rational reasoning says no but gut feeling says maybe. I mean, could this Oddbird even come close to competing with Nashville's most mediocre hot cheekan?
Alright, stop yapping and let's go find out mothercluckers!

Hot Chicken Sandwich, Too Hot x 10. I fucking hate it when people ask me if I am sure I want it super super spicy... Motherfuckers, ghost peppers are mild to me, scorpion peppers make me tingle, and the carolina reaper makes my taint moist. So, they say ok, we will make it as hot as we can. Soooo, did they do good? I'm sure my one reader is dying to find out. I say to my one fan, take a look at that pic. The red grease pooling out the bottom is a good sign. The bun (Gen. Muir) is gorgeous and toasted/charred nicely. The ginormous chicken breast was coated and fried very nicely even though it was skinless and boneless. Y'all know how I feel about boneless fried cheekan. But this specimen was a very respectable hot cheekan, even I can't believe I'm saying this. Besides the minor skinless/boneless faux pas, I just wished they coated the entire beast in the hot pepper grease wash. Hell, I shoulda asked for some on the side. The crust was ultra crispy, seasoned well and held onto the plump and juicy 36C boob flesh quite well. Some pieces did fall off but did not diminish the overall experience and taste to it. Was it as hot as I wanted? Hell no but I give them A for effort. This was a very good first showing of this mythical creasture. If y'all want to give me an even harder blood flow, get that "Too Hot" to "Ludicrous Hot". Go ahead, I dare you to impress me some more, biatches... Especially, when charging $13 for a spicy cheekan sando.

Oddbird of the Day- Thai Chicken & Waffles. Of course, had to try the chef's creation. The waffles were pretty tasty but that silly cabbage slaw thinger woulda been better if it was papaya for the full Thai effect. The hunky fried cheekan breasticle was impressive as well. Interestingly enough, the best fried chicken I have ever had in the entire world was in Bangkok from a street cart that a little old lady operated. The unspeakable things I would do to munch on her majestic fried cock again... 

I'm not really a big fan of breakfast and simple sandwiches because it's usually overpriced filler with little substance but a lot of people eat this shit up like it's their last meal... And the West Egg is such a destination for many. I may have been here once or twice in the past but nothing was all that memorable. Until now, with the opening of Oddbird, their hot cheekan has put them back on my radar. Although, pricey for just a chicken sando, it's justifiable after inhaling one. It may be a monthly guilty pleasure for me now. But Popeyes still has my heart and WIC card.

 Burp.

1100 Howell Mill Rd
Atlanta, GA 30318
404-872-3973
http://oddbirdatl.com/

2 comments:

Pinky said...

I luv you for talking about Hattie B's! Their hot chix, pimento mac and cheese and banana pudding are dericious.

chefhelen said...

I'm glad to know that someone else hates breakfast. You want $13 for 2 eggs, grits, toast, bacon and potatoes? And $2.99 for coffee??? No thank you. I can get better for less at the Waffle House, if I'm out late and need sustenance...aw, who am I kidding? I'd go to Krystal or Taco Veloz if left to my own devices. El Rey del Taco if I were feeling frisky!