Friday, January 23, 2015

The Cockentrice

Everyone loves the Spotted Trotter... But will everyone love The Cockentrice's meat-centric menu? You definitely won't find any veganal favorites in here (is veganal even a word, fuck it I just made one up), bless their hearts... But will the average mook find something they can eat here? This menu highlights probably the most eclectic menu I have seen in awhile for this town. It's not full of weird exotic creatures, nothing like that but this is not the common menu you see everywhere that caters towards people with limited palates who wants to be seen out in the scene. To me, this menu is pretty awesome and ballsy and a total breath of fresh air... But it feels like they depend too much on their charcuterie to carry a full service resto. I would like to see more diversity but my only concern is that they will probably change it to something more accommodating for the pedestrians. But the real test is how does it taste... Let's take a first lookie. The framed poster of the Tauntaun butchery chart in the meat locker is a good sign..

Old Fashioned done proper. Getting a spot on cocktail really depends on the bartender making your drink. I got lucky tonight... Again and again.

Suckling Pig Grattons. Instead of ordering the suckling pig as a main, I rather test it out with their app. These crispy savory cubes of swine were very tasty. The Jerusalem artichoke whip (puree) was a little thin but still did the job, just needed a little more seasoning. The warm pork belly mustard woulda been better off with Chinese hot mustard for that swift kick in the ass with these porky cubes. Still a very tasty nibble. The skewer is a bearable gimmick.

Mushroom Custard with Bone Marrow. I could bathe in this cauldron of groovy earthy gooey shroomy boney marrowy life sustaining substance like in the Matrix... Or maybe just the cocktails were talking. All I remember was scooping this on the crostini in a repeated ATM motion (arm to mouth vs ass).

Heirloom Prosciutto, Southern Fire Pork Snack Stick,  Duck Fat & Foie Gras Pate. Mind you that these were all separate items with different price tags. Putting them all together on a board gives it more heft but remember you'll be paying the price for these tiny morsels. The quality is there but I'm pretty sure you can get similar product else where for less. Most people would be insulted by the scant scraps, but me, I'm usually insulted on a daily basis so it doesn't affect me much anymore.

Beef Shins. Something a little different on the menu. I ordered it just because of the name. Who doesn't like shins? Well, I can't tell you if it were truly shins but this was just ok. It was kinda tender at spots and had decent flavor but that biscuit thing sitting underneath it was greasy and yet dry. I hope this was an one-off because I would skip this the next time. If they had a beef elbow on my next visit, I would prolly be suckered into it... I would definitely do a beef armpit, though.

The Krog Street Market is doing good things, a great mix of shit in one place. I love the Spotted Trotter and I like the idea of Cockentrice... It needs time to develop and find themselves, they have a heavy hitter in charcuterie already, they just need to take it to the next realm with something different. Charcuterie can only do so much on it's own.


99 Krog St., Suite V,
Atlanta, GA 30307
470-428-2509
http://thespottedtrotter.com/cockentrice-now-open

No comments: