Friday, July 25, 2014

Gokul Sweets & Vegetarian Restaurant

There's two locations for this joint within midget tossing distance of each other... One next to a novelty shop and the other in the newly renovated Patel Bros strip mall. Both are exactly the same setup. I'm no vegetarian but I do submit myself to eating healthy once in awhile.. But there is no way this is healthy. Just because it's meatless doesn't mean it's good for you (ask my boys in midtown). There is so much fried shit to chose from up in this piece. Most of the food coming out were golden brown and coincidentally most of the patrons were golden brown, too. That's a good sign to me. So, let's get a sampler and hopefully I will come out with a beautiful golden tan as well...

Masala Dhosa. Look at that length and girth... I'm so fucking jealous. They say every comma in your bank account adds an inch to your cock, boy, I would be such a stud with the ladies in the Hobbit's Shire. I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight. This Peter North size dosa was stuffed with mildly spiced potatoes and onions. This was pretty tasty. You would have to try really hard to fuck up a dosa, like rolling up butcher's paper and serving that shit to non-brownies to see if they know the difference but they did a good job here. The "lentils" soup was watery and coconut chutney was standard issue, nothing to report.

Samosa. Not bad at all. The crust was a little thicker than I like but still tasty all the same. The green chutney and tangy tamarind sauces were decent.

Wada Pav. Who knew they had Indian sliders? It's like a giant fried potato ball bathe in their two special chutneys between a shiny lacquered dinner roll. This shit was fun and tasty.

Aloo Mutter. Potato and green peas curry. This is why I'm not a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I love curry like any of my brown skin kin but this was a little too liquidity. Curry needs to be thicker and have more complexity. It wasn't bad but I coulda made this at home for a fraction of the cost and 10 times better.


Bhindi Masala. Okra and veggie mix. It looks more like raccoons got into the trash on this dish. The taste wasn't bad but after awhile all this shit tastes the same. I thought it would come with rice but at least I can wrap this shit up in the naan like a burrito. 

Accoutrements. Throw all this shit into the two dishes above and you got some texture that requires more than a healthy set of gums to knock this down into the pouch, a set of dentures at the minimum. Those peppers, carrots and blob were pretty spicy... Finally, something to give it some flavor.

Garlic Naan. Not bad at all, plenty of garlic flavor, fluffy and brown nicely in hopefully a tandoori oven. Totally a decent naan. I would come back for it, if I wasn't paying.

Hot and Sour Soup. This is great, never seen an Indian version of H&S soup. It doesn't taste like the swill from the local Chino hole in the wall, it tastes like it came from an Indian hole in the wall. Ok, it wasn't that bad, it had a lot of spices, little peppers and tofu in it but it had a funky after taste to it. You know it's slutty Hindu-Chino slop when it also comes with that fried wonton skin strips.

"Szechzuan" Noodles. One would just think the misspelling is just part of the cultural disconnect but after tasting this dish, they really were disconnected to even the most low rent of slutty Chino grubbery. Thin spaghetti with other veggie shit tossed in there with some spices. They give you a nasty hot sauce and pickle juice to try to make it look legit... I'm still looking around for that shot of whiskey to go with the pickle juice. 

Ok, first off, do not get anything that has to do with Chinese food in here. Stick with their specialty, as in Chaaty morsels. The Wada Pav were my fav and dosa was legit. They have a lot of sweets in here but don't expect Skittles and Gummi Bears... It's weird sweet shit. I would try the thali next time.

763 Dekalb Industrial Way
Decatur, GA


1 comment:

KIRUTHIVASAN said...

I have been visiting your recipe blog regularly. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on
"Gokul Sweets & Vegetarian Restaurant" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites north indian food | vegetarian restaurants