Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fritti

Fritti is kicking ass and taking names... Bringing in the God of all pizza ovens from Naples to hand build the only custom Ferrara oven in GA (excluding the 2 prefab Ferrara ovens at Double Zero). This beast is top of the line. It may even trump the 3 Acunto ovens at Antico. But the real question is... How is da 'ZA?! We all know Antico's 'Za's are really fucking good, no, literally, it's like sex, as in "bumping uglies" good, squirt. But great hardware and great ingredients make not a great pizza (ie: Rusto's. It tasted like burnt shit). Fritti was always pretty good throughout the years but with this new 1000 degree oven in their arsenal can they take the Napoletana throne?

C'mon, let's take a trip to Mount Vesuvius and see...

(Bresaola di Tonno - Tuna flaps, thin and tasteless. Eh, I didn't order it, some white boy at my table did. And he is supposedly a chef. Flush.)


(Calamari Fritti - Even white boy chefs gotta shout, Calamari's got back. This dish is so over done for the last 20 years but I gotta admit it was pretty good. Crunch.)


(Regina Margherita - San Marzano, bufala, basil and char from the hand built Ferrara oven by the man himself, Stefano Ferrara, was pretty much fucking perfect. Look at that pie, gives me a chub every time I see and smell it. I swear those white spots are not dick cheese. Scout's honor. Squirt.)


(Frutti di Mare - I don't usually like my pie smelling like fish and with tentacles hanging out but I wanted to bury my face in it and lick that vageola clean. Slurp.)

Did Fritti take the throne? It's pretty close, almost neck and neck. I'm gonna give it some more time for the oven to "break in", whatever the fuck that means. I know, I might be talking outta my ass. Anyone got a breath mint? Anyhoo, it's a very good pizza, I like both places... Let's leave it at that... For now. Speaking of throne, after all that food I need to sit on mine... Be back in 2 and 2. Which equals...

4 Stars.

309 North Highland Ave.,
Atlanta, GA
404-880-9559
www.sottosottorestaurant.com

3 comments:

Pinky said...

I'd like to feed you some pie.

Unknown said...

I'm really glad you're blogging again.

Joe said...

Never done Fritti. Hear good things, but can it deliver a haymaker to Antico? Tough call.

Eager to get over to Double Zero too.