Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Thai Chili

You can find pretty decent ethnic grub if you go on Buford Hwy and up to Duluth... But one ethnic cuisine that has always been so dumb down to me in this town can be the one and only elusive Thai food. No one does Thai hot in this town, even with all their claims that they have authentic Thai grubbery. I dare anyone to compare any Thai joint in this town to any street dump in Thailand... It's no comparison, not even close. But what you will find here is Americanized slutty sloppy seconds. Not that there's anything wrong with it... I like slutty fake ass Chino grub from time to time. That fucking General Tso's chicken is so tasty when you had been drinking whiskey like a hobo the night before. It's a hangover cure with another shot of whiskey.. Let's face it, there is no way this is gonna blow me away being right off of Briarcliff, but the pouch is hungry and sometimes hunger can Jedi mind fuck the pouch's taste buds..

Chicken Coconut Milk Soup. They praise this bowl of liquid like it's the Gods' semen. Let's pump pump squirt some into my mouth because I do swallow contrary to popular belief. White button mushrooms, how generic and cheap can you get. Totally expected it. I don't know, the flavors were decent and there's a decent amount of chicken in there. This Tom Kha Gia is totally bastardized but I can see why the whities like this so much... It's so much sweeter than it is sour and no hints of galangal.

Papaya Salad. Som Tum. Peanuts right from the can, at least pan roast the nuts a little bit to release the oils.. Who doesn't like their nuts roasting on an open fire. But the green papaya was actually decent tasting, it needed to be spicier but most people like this dumb down version since it doesn't have Thai chiles, dried shrimp or string beans. When I thought this was it... This bowl of ice with veggie sticks followed shortly...

Where are the hot wangz and blue cheese dressing? What? It's for the Som Tum? Who'd knew. Almost made me double checked the menu for some hot wings since I'm like a Pavlovian dog when I see veggie sticks. No hot wangz on said menu.

Pad Thai w/ Pork. Shitty version can be had all over town. This version was better than most but it lacked a few of the signature flavors and ingredients... Such as eggs, chives, fish sauce, dried shrimp, garlic, shallots, red chile pepper/flake, firm tofu cubes. I just might be asking too much from the kitchen, not like it's the national dish or something that you might wanna try to get right. Ok, besides all those minor missed details, this was totally edible, at least they got the bean sprouts and crushed peanuts right. Ask for more limes and fish sauce, you'll need it.

Green Curry w/ Beef, Thai Hot. I like that they used real Thai eggplants in the green curry but Thai Hot turned out to be Thai Dud, it was as spicy as soy milk. The curry was a little watery and green chile paste was lacking. It's not a terrible dish but they told that they coulda made it Thai Hot Hot Hot Hot if I wanted super spicy... Which I did. I'm pretty sure I said to make it the spiciest you can without putting in sambal oelek in there turning it into a pink paste. They said no problem. Sure, OK USA. I will ask them for Thai Hot X 30 next time. Get ready for the update.

The service was great and the food was pedestrian at best but above average compared to most other Thai joints in town. I would come back here and see if they can surprise me with the super spice level as promised next time.

2169 Briarcliff Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
404-315-6750
https://thaichilicuisineatlanta.com/



1 comment:

chefhelen said...

What are your thoughts on Little Bankok on Cheshire Bridge?