Monday, September 22, 2014

Chops Lobster Bar

I have not been here for years. I always thought the food was well prepared and totally acceptable. What's not acceptable is the price you pay for some of the dishes here. It ain't cheap to eat here, so, I expect the highest quality for my rotation back to this joint after a long hiatus. We all know most people who come to eat here are not really in it for the grub, it's for the show and tell factor. Their website even have a gallery dedicated to celebrities who dined here... Back in the 90's. Now, the place is a hotbed for the fucking Millenials that's ruining the world... How the fuck are they affording this with no job? Oh, wait, we know how... Thanks mommy and daddy and the trust fund account you set up for me with your hard earned dollars that I will blow on the hookers and cocaine and well done filet mignon as fast as you can say, "It isn't gonna suck itself." 

Speaking of sucking... Let's see how this joint still stacks up to the competition in these modern times of mediocrity.

LOBSTER, SEAFOOD CEVICHE. Cute dish and tasted ok but for a joint of this caliber I expected more flavor, more pop... Because ceviche hasn't be overdone at all.

ALL JUMBO LUMP CRAB CAKE. Big hunk of tasty crab puck. I thought it was meringue on top at first then realized it was shoved into a salamander to brown the top.

EAST MEETS WEST. Oysters tasted just ok but the shucker really didn't do a clean job, a few of them were mangled all up. For the amount they charge, you would think they would be perfect looking and the brine still intact.

JUMBO MARYLAND SOFT SHELL CRAB. Batter/crust is too thick, what are they trying to hide in there... Jimmy Hoffa? But it tasted better than it looked. I look at this and all I think is Po'boy.

THAI CHILI RHODE ISLAND CALAMARI. Fried calamari rings can be found on any menu, even at some fast food dumps. I admit I kinda like this low rent dish if it's done right. They did an ok job on this, I kept eating more so that's a good sign.

BONE-IN RIB EYE. This is where they shine.. Or suppose to. Their butcher did a good job trimming this for proper even cooking and presentation. Medium-rare temp requested could not be any better... I fucking hope so at a "steak" joint. Manmeat with a big boner gives me one as well.

BONE-IN FILET. Now this is cute... A filet with a bone. Don't see that often. You know this wasn't a bunch of scrap pieces of meat reformed together with meat glue. Tasty shit.

KUROBUTA PORK CHOP. So, the whole theme tonight was with hunks of meat with their boners sticking out. If you wanna pork a girl after dinner the proper way this is the dish you need to order for them. Perfect temp with medium minus with a slight pink center... The pork not the girl,well it could be. Very nice piece of pork. Use the drippings on the plate for throat lube if the other white meat is too dry. I inhaled this beast because I'm an expert at swine-llowing. 

THIN GREEN BEANS. Haricot vert.. Can't screw this up if you tried. Oh, wait, Cafe Alsace fucked this up the last time I went and they gave me canned green beans and they're suppose to be a Fronch resto, pathetic. This joint nailed it.

BRUSSELS SPROUT LEAVES & MUSHROOMS. It wasn't all leaves, there were some sprout chunks in there as well. I'm ok with that and the shrooms killed it.

LOBSTER MAC & CHEESE. I know, I know, this shit is way overdone and the last time anyone gave a shit about this dish was when they were watching the Fonz jump the shark in 1977. But I'll tell you what, this shit was still tasty.

BREAD PUDDING. Not a big fan of bread pudding but it was semi edible to me.

RED VELVET CAKE . The color was off to begin with and ended up not being the promised red velvet pushed by the server. It was just some sponge cake with Vidal Sassoon red dye #5 all up in this piece. Vanilla ice cream, eh, werd to your mother... This dessert sucked.

This expense account resto still has what it takes to command the expense account crowd and the ho bags that love to be taken here to see and be seen. Stick to the meats and sides, pick your apps wisely and skip dessert totally. Even though, I do love the Grand Central Station look and feel of this joint... This visit will prolly last me another 5 years with the amount of food the pouch just ate... Hopefully, these millenials will be broke by the time I return.


70 West Paces Ferry Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-262-2675
http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/chops-lobster-bar/

No comments: