Friday, June 27, 2014

Pho Delight

Vietnamese grub can be had all over Buford Highway, up down, left right, sine cosine and tangent every which way but fuzzy math... You know, cuz Asians are SMRT and really good with math and noodle soups. Shit, we invented the goddamn things. I was up this way for some tools and noticed this joint all by its lonesome in a strip mall with a farmers market... I was like, what the fuck is this place doing up in redneckville? White people don't eat this shit.. They lynch people with slanty eyes like us. But anyways, this place has been around for a bit so I went in to see what all the fuss was about.. Yeah, a pho joint this far up can only mean two things... Let's go find out.

Bun Bo Hue. Spicy noodle soup with lotsa goodies inside. This version was pretty "authentic" homestyle with all the fun stuff like pig's blood, hock, brains, offal... All the things that would make a Buckhead douchebag puke. It wasn't spicy enough for me but I also didn't want to bastardize all their hard work by dumping a shitload of Sriracha and Sambal Oelek in it either. So, I stuck with it as is and was I glad I did. Sometimes, a bowl of funky noodle soup is great as it was intended. Git ya  sum.

Bun with  BBQ Pork. Although it looks like a very simple dish, getting all the ingredients executed properly is harder than it looks. Is the noodle over or under cooked, is the pork grilled correctly, is the do chau (daikon/carrot) pickled properly, is the nuoc cham sauce made proportionately and balanced with enough fish sauce and sweetness, is there enough crushed peanuts and balance of assorted veggies... This came out pretty good. It's not usually my go to dish but for the summer it's a nice refreshing dish.

Cha Gio. These tasty little fuckers came out hot, crispy and steamy inside.

"Chef Special" aka stop being an entitled little biatch and make your own wraps. Huge portion and it's totally worth it. It's like a Viet-rito.

Pho Dac Biet. The broth is hot, that's a good sign. The slurp, very flavorful, me rikey. A very nice well balanced broth, I'm quite surprised on the quality for a place way up in the sticks. It could use more meats and offals in here but I'm not complaining because the broth was so tasty. Just dump all the garnishes in there and it's a full bowl... That's what she said from the bathroom.

Amped up Pho. We need more Sriracha, Sambal and cowbells!!!

For a pho joint up in bumblefuck nowhere, it was surprisingly good... Better than average. After a few visits, I'm already a regular when I'm up in this neck of the woods. Shit is good, just don't nuoc their mam... She's a killer.

Squeal!

4805 Lawrenceville Hwy
Lilburn, GA 30047
(770) 806-8181

No comments: