Friday, April 19, 2013

Pouch Around Town

Sometimes, the pouch doesn't want to write a bunch of reviews of small bites around town, so, it puts them all in one big bowl of crap and let my one reader pass judgement on which dish is the biggest shit show in town...

Here we go... Weeeeeee!

Highlander.
 
Hot Chicken Fridays. So, I just came back from hot chicken central, Nashville, recently. Had some decent chicken in that town and I was still craving it when I got back. So, naturally, I went to the Highlander to compare it while it was still fresh in my bowels. Let me say this is one good deal, a meal in itself for a measly $10 with your choice of dark or white meat (dark of course, durr), a bowl of mac-n-cheez and a side (have to get tots here, duh). So, how was the cheekan? It was kinda spicy and a little wet which was nice but I was hoping for a lot more heat. The chicken itself was tender and juicy, a good tasting bird. Where would I rather get a hot chicken in the ATL? Well, you can either pay the same price for one thigh and a slice of white bread at H&F or a fancy version at One Eared Stag... But for the value and similar taste, I think I would come back here for their hot cheekan deal a meal. Eat that, Richard Simmons. I so want a pair of his ball sack short shorts.


Alma Cocina.
 
Taquitos Trio of Tacos. This place is a pain in the ass to get to and parking is a logistical nightmare. The margaritas are forgettable and the food is freshly made but hardly Mexican. Tongue, carnitas and some other meat creasture... All of it bland. Had to drown it in hot sauce to get a hint of Latino flavor. Snooze.


Argosy.
Sriracha Dog. Cute snack, comes with fries. Actually, a semi meal. Good hot dog but the Asian slaw was too raw and crunchy and not spicy. Just flick it off and you have yourself a decent regular hot dog. Pretty decent fries too.

Plancha Burger. Rut Ruh, do we have another best burger contender? Oh, fuck yeah we do. This is what it would taste like when H&F's burger have a disgusting greasy orgy with General Muir's burger and Grindhouse's burger... This is like the Freddy Krueger of burgers and it's pretty fucking tasty. Is it that good you ask? I don't know yet, might need to eat a few dozen more before my verdict. PS- I'm fat so I got a side salad instead of fries because I keep seeing girls who eat a triple bacon cheeseburger with a side of salad, light dressing and a diet Coke to neutralize the fatty calories in their ass... It obviously works.

Pork Belly Pizza. When they first opened, the first thing I noticed was the sweet wood burning oven, I knew they would be cooking something round and foldable in there. It was a decent 'ZA but it needs more work. The ingredients were fresh and vibrant but the dough needs work because without a great crust all it is is just sauce in a cardboard bowl. Not bad but I'll wait till they get it together before I try another one. But I will eat your last slice that no one wants.


Blue Moon Pizza.
BBQ Chicken Pizza.Where am I? Ok, it isn't the best pizza in town and it isn't traditional at all. It wants to be NY style but CiCi's is holding it back. It's a very middling pizza but it will get you fat and sleepy. Why did I get a BBQ chicken 'ZA? Like it matters if I got a different one.

Italian Flatwich. This had me laughing until my pants button popped off. It sooo wants to be a Hot Pocket but it's just a really fancy Pizza Combos. The slices of meat in there were so thin I could read a Kindle novel through it.


Quan 9.
 Eggrolls. Hot as fuck and crispy. Innards were ok. It's passable.

Meatball Pho. Broth was a little weak but still had nice flavor. They give you a lot of meatballs... And they should when it's called a meatball pho.

Dac Biet Pho. Not a great selection of assorted meats and offal. Same broth, same weakness in flavor... But not for long, just dump a shitload of Sriracha, bean sprouts, jalapenos, basil, chili paste and hoisin. That sauce is so money, I'm driving this short bus to flavor town... Donkey sauce not available. Unless you make your own in the bathroom.


Heirloom Market & BBQ.
Mess Kit Special. Shit is always G U U D. Thank you, come again. PS- Hot as Balls Hot Sauce back in stock.

Stick around for more reports from the pouch around town... Or not.

No comments: